I always think of that commercial, is it DayQuil? The one where the dad walks into the baby’s room and asks for a sick day. There is no such thing as a sick day when you are a momprenuer or working mom. Kids still need breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not to mention the zillions of snacks.
When symptoms first show up, you know the moment when you ask yourself are my allergies bad or is it a cold? It’s probably a cold, so I suggest hitting the vitamin C hardcore. Do your stomach a favor and don’t hit the vit C on an empty stomach. Been there, done that, puked.
Common Cold Evening Treatment
First of all, you are going to need to sleep. Sometimes, as a mom the idea of getting enough sleep is a not-so-funny joke. Please, please do what you can to catch some serious zzzz’s. I understand if you have to get up to feed a baby, but you don’t need to stay up to check facebook one more time. It will be there in the morning, I promise! So get your cute little booty to bed nice and early. Before bed, I do 2 things:
Getting toxins, like gross viral germs and such, out of your body faster can help you heal from the common cold quickly. Here’s my favorite:
- Draw a bath. Make it pretty hot and pretty deep. Your goal is to sweat it all out, sister!
- Add about a cup of epsom salt
- Put in about 3 TBS of ginger
- Add your favorite essential oils (lavender & rose are my faves)
- Soak yourself for at least 20 mins, but go as long as you feel fine.
- Get out and pat dry. You are going to be tired and sweaty. That’s good stuff.
Magic Elixir for the Common Cold
Lemon & honey is a seriously delicious and powerful combo when you’ve got the sniffles. Sometimes I sip this while I’m in the bath, or immediately after. Here’s how:
- Boil some water
- Juice 1/2 lemon into your cup
- Add 1 TBS of honey
- Pour boiling water over the honey/lemon.
- Sip and enjoy!
- Extra step for common cold induced insomnia: I will sometimes add a half shot of brandy to my magic elixir. It helps me sleep through the night, and I’m pretty sure it’s better than all that chemical junk in over the counter nighttime cold medicines.
Do you have a favorite detox bath recipe? Come over to facebook and tell me all about it!